Friday, August 13, 2010

Author Interview And A Contest- Friday I'm In Love by Mari Carr


Friday I'm in Love - Wild Irish Book 5 by Mari Carr


I've known Mari Carr for about a year now and she's one of my favorite authors.  She is part of the International Heat group of authors and a great person to call a friend.  The fifth book in her Wild Irish series is out today and she graciously agreed to do an interview and help me sponsor a contest.  A total of 3 copies of Friday I'm in Love will be provided, one by Ms. Carr and two by me.  Please read the interview and see the contest rules below.



Interview                                                                                                                   

Maria:  How long does it usually take you to write a book?

Mari :  It varies depending on how long the story is or how well the plot is flowing in my mind. I've written quickies (Rekindled and Spitfire) in a weekend. My novel-length historicals have taken years! Typically, I can write a novella in about a month or two and a short novel in two to three months. That includes beta reads and CP corrections.

Maria: If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Mari:  Oh my. Only one? Impossible. My writing has been influenced by so many different people over the years. Early influences included Diana Gabaldon and Stephanie Laurens, as I think is obvious by my first series--the June Girls. When I branched out to erotic stories, I patterned myself after Lora Leigh. These days, I'd really like to try a novel-length contemporary romantic comedy series, like Janet Evanovich. As my reading tastes change...so do my mentors.

Maria:  Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Mari:  Wow--you don't believe in making this easy, do you? I can't possibly choose one, but I think I could narrow it down to about a dozen! I love to read, love all types of books, which lends itself to having lots of favorites. I love the YA fantasies of JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyers. I love that Janet Evanovich can always make me laugh with her stories. I think Jayne Rylon and Lexxie Couper write some of the sexiest books out there.

Maria:  What would you say is your "interesting" writing quirk?

Mari:  I write very, very fast. And I always overwrite. I probably write two novellas just to create one because of the sheer volume of words I put to page and then edit out. I'm the queen of back story--a problem my CPs, Rhian Cahill and JR Patrick as well as my editors have worked very hard to beat out of me. I can say something in 4,000 words that most people can get out in ten! LOL

Maria:  What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

Mari:  That I could actually write a book that a publisher would be willing to buy. For years, my writing was just a hobby, just something for me. I have a stack of rejection letters to prove that too! When Immi at Samhain actually emailed to say she liked Erotic Research, I nearly keeled over. Every day since then has been like living a dream.

Maria:  Any other new releases coming out?

Mari:  Well, I actually have lots of cool things on the horizon and I can't wait to scream about them. My Ellora's Cave editor has accepted and contracted Saturday Night Special, book six in the Wild Irish. It's Riley's story and I'd be lying if I didn't say I wrote all the other stories super fast simply because I couldn't wait to get to her book! It's a cross between I Love Lucy and The Hangover and I laughed the entire time I wrote it. Now I just pray everyone else finds it funny! I just received a release date of September 24th.

Then I have two releases coming out in October. On October 4, I'm adding a new publisher to my resume. Do Over will release at Carina Press. I'm super excited about working there. I love the folks I've talked to and I'm so humbled to be able to call myself one of them! I think Do Over is one of the most romantic stories I've ever written because it doesn't take place at the beginning of a relationship, but rather 25 years in! Troy and Faith are celebrating their anniversary with an erotic trip down memory lane!

My other October release is Happy Hour and it will be the next book in the Black and White Collection of wicked fantasies. Happy Hour is a little bit of everything! A red hot menage and cougar relationship all rolled into one.

Maria:  What's next?

Mari:  I have a few projects I'm planning to work on throughout the remainder of the summer and the fall. I'm currently working on the final book in the Wild Irish series, Any Given Sunday. I also have plans for two more stories in the Do Over trilogy. AND...I recently signed four contracts on a series I'm co-writing with Jayne Rylon for Samhain Publishing. It's called the Compass Brothers series and I'm so thrilled to be working with Jayne on these books. She's an amazing writer!


Excerpt of Friday I'm in Love:

“Why are you tired?”

 
She closed her eyes and prayed for patience. This was how conversations with Ewan went. He asked a question, she answered, and then he asked more.

“I was reading a really sexy book last night and spent half the night masturbating with my vibrator. All those amazing orgasms can really take it out of you, you know?” She hoped her smart ass comment would embarrass him, shut him up.

She should have known better.

“Shit, Nat. I wish you would have waited. I’m going to be downstairs from you tonight. I can fuck you a helluva lot better than a lousy piece of plastic.”

She’d been given Tristan’s old room on the third floor to sleep in while she was staying with the family, but sleep didn’t seem to be something she was going to be doing much of, especially not after the sexy seed Ewan had just planted.

“In your dreams, kiddo. I don’t play with children,” she said, although she wasn’t all that concerned that he was younger.

For one thing, he didn’t act young, but she supposed that was because he’d been responsible—along with his sister, Keira—for running the restaurant side of his family’s business since graduating from college. Teagan raved about his management abilities and smooth administration. The fun, sexually explicit banter he engaged in with Natalie seemed to be the exception, rather than the norm, and she got the feeling the rest of his family saw him as serious, responsible, staid.

“Thought you weren’t gonna play the age card again?”

“Old habits die hard.”

“You’re quiet today, distant. Why do I get the feeling it’s more than fatigue?”

“I would think you’d be glad I’m quiet. I mean, it’s not as if there’s ever been any love lost between us. You and I are like—”

He looked so genuinely shocked she stopped mid sentence, the words oil and water dying on her tongue.

“No love lost? I’m crazy about you, Nat. You must know that?”

She laughed. “You really are going to have to give up this schoolboy crush. I’ve been nothing but a bitch to you since day one.”

He grasped her hand and she looked at him in surprise. “I haven’t been a boy in a long time, baby doll. And I’m more than man enough to deal with you and your so-called bitchiness.”

She wished her body hadn’t heard those words. The second he uttered more than man enough, her nipples went on red alert and she was a bit worried about the sudden dampness in her panties. She tried to tug her hand out of his grip, but he refused to relinquish it. “Listen, hotshot—”

“Save it, Nat. Why are you depressed?”

She panicked at his words. “I’m not depressed. I don’t get depressed. Ever.” Her words came out far too loud and she watched him study her face intently. She bit her lower lip, realizing Ewan Collins was far too observant when it came to her. He was also cutting too close to the core. Honesty seemed her best bet. “I’m thirty-four years old and I have fuck-all to show for my life.”

Ewan frowned. “That’s not true. You own and operate an incredibly successful photography studio in Palm Springs. You’re one of the most talented photographers I’ve ever met. Your pictures are beautiful.”

She was taken aback by his praise, surprised he’d seen enough of her work to judge. “How do you know that?”

“I check out your website on occasion, plus Teagan is always emailing us pictures you’ve taken of her and Sky. You have an amazing eye.”

“Yeah, that’s me. The queen of composition, lighting, shading. Sometimes I feel like I’ve spent my entire life behind the lens of a camera.”

Ewan lightly caressed the skin on the back of her neck and she marveled at how comforting the simple gesture was. “You sound like you’re questioning your career choice.”

“Do I?” she asked. “That’s not my intention. I love my job. But sometimes I feel like that’s all there is to me. I’m defined by a freaking camera.”

“That’s not true. I know Sky and Teagan consider you their friend, not their photographer.”

“I know that. It’s just…” She paused, trying to find a way to express the dark thoughts that had been plaguing her since her birthday. “It’s just…I’m never in any of the pictures.”

His eyebrows creased and she knew he was confused by her comment. She tried to clarify. “I’m not really sure what I have to show for my life. Hell, I’m not sure I’ve lived a life. I stand on the sidelines of every event, snapping picture after picture of other people living, celebrating, doing something. God, doing anything.” Her voice betrayed her frustration and she took a breath, tried to calm down when she noticed Tris Collins glance up at her from the bar.

Ewan rubbed her hand, his other arm still draped around her, and she felt wholly surrounded by his presence. “What did you hope to have achieved by now that you haven’t?”

His question caught her off-guard. She’d spent months commiserating over her lost youth, never once thinking about what it was she was grieving. And with one simple question, Ewan had thrown her for a loop…again. “Well, I don’t know exactly. I’ve been to hundreds of weddings, birthday parties, bar mitzvahs, anniversaries. I’ve seen thousands of people celebrating events with loved ones. I’ve never done anything worth celebrating and even if I did, I wouldn’t have anybody to commemorate it with. I know this may come as a surprise to you, but I don’t generally have one of those personalities people flock to.”

“Prickly?” he asked, though she knew his comment wasn’t a question.


“No, not prickly. Strong-willed, self-assured, independent.” She struggled to find those three words.

“Opinionated, arrogant, bitchy. Got it.”

She opened her mouth to lambaste him and then closed it again. He was right. There was no debating the truth.

“Damn,” he muttered. “You are down and out. No snappy comeback, Nat?”

She shook her head.

“I sort of got the impression you were happy on your own. You always say people are an annoyance you don’t have time for.”

She looked around the room briefly, wondering how she always got into these conversations with Ewan. He always made her say too much, tell too many secrets she never intended to reveal. “That’s true. I guess maybe sometimes I think it might be nice to have a friend. Someone normal and not obnoxious. Someone who doesn’t get their feelings easily hurt when I tell them they suck.”

He laughed and she realized her requirements for a friend did sound pretty pathetic. “Isn’t that Sky?” he asked.

“It was—I mean, is. It’s just, he’s got Teagan now and, well…things are different.”

Ewan smiled and she felt a flash of anger spark. Here she was unloading all her misery, confessing things she’d never told another living soul, and he was giving her that stupid, annoying, lopsided grin.

She scowled. “Glad you find this all so funny. Get away from my table.”

He moved closer and she fought to hold on to her annoyance. God, men as handsome as Ewan Collins should be illegal.

“I’m not laughing at you, baby doll. I’m just glad your problem is so easily solved.”

She looked at him, confused. She’d spent months feeling sorry for herself, trying to find a way out of her funk, and nothing had presented itself. Even leaving town for a change of scenery, a change of company hadn’t helped.

She studied Ewan’s confident face and realized that if anyone could solve her problem, it was probably him. Why she felt that way, she couldn’t say. There was simply something deep inside her that said trust him.

“Show me the way.” Her request was softly spoken, but Ewan heard it.

“How long are you staying here?” he asked.

“A week.” It was Saturday afternoon and she had a flight booked to return to Palm Springs early in the morning the following Saturday.

Ewan rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Seven days. It’s a little tight, but we can manage.”

“Manage what?”

“I’m going to teach you a lesson a day. Seven lessons you can live by so you never feel this way again. You, Natalie Miller, are about to get a life.”


Thanks for the interview Mari!



Contest Rules: 1 eBook Copy of Friday I'm In Love will be awarded to 3 lucky winners.



1.  Answer the question: What is the name of the next book being published in the Wild Irish Series?

2.  Please leave your email address in your reply so that I may contact you if you win.

3.  Contest runs from Friday, 13-Aug-10, through Midnight Saturday, 14-Aug-10.  Winners to be chosen using Random.Org and will be notified on Sunday, 15-Aug-10.

4.  Contest open to ALL entrants Worldwide.



FTC Disclosure:  Prizes being awarded are being provided by author and site owner.

23 comments:

  1. Maria and Mari, great interview!

    The answer is Saturday Night Special.

    Cannot wait for Any Given Sunday!

    Rhonda
    rhondaw1965@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn, I though that I'd be first LOL Saturday Night Special.

    #5 sounds very interesting :-D

    Peg
    mcchep2003@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Love the excerpt!

    The next book in the series is Saturday Night Special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview Mari and Maria. Can't wait to read this!!!

    The next book in the series is Saturday Night Special!!!

    maishaw7@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the interview and the excerpt.
    the answer is Saturday Night Special.

    sstrode@scrtc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview. I love Mari's books. Can't wait for the next one. The answer is Saturday Night Special.

    Oohh,totally unrelated but I just realized my cover is right beside where I'm posting. Thanks Maria that's so cool

    lauren@laurenfraser.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun interview! Thanks for the shout out, Mari. I am so excited for people to read Compass Brothers. Mari's parts are phenomenal, she forces me to bring my A game :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Release Day, Mari. I love this series, and can't wait to read Friday I'm In Love. Up next is, Saturday Night Special, which will give us Riley's story, yea!


    caity_mack@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to read this story. Looking forward to Saturday Night Special in September.
    linze_e at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The answer is Saturday Night Special.

    Great interview! I tend to overwrite when I write reviews, so you're not the only one with that problem.

    joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for allowing me to hang out at your review site today, your highness. :)

    And a big THANK YOU to everyone for stopping by to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The answer is Saturday Night Special.

    Great interview, can't wait to read this story!

    varuca25@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview and excerpt

    The next book is Saturday Night Special

    elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the interview. Can totally understand being the 'queen of backstory'. Find myself doing the same thing whenever I work on one of my stories. I'll have to rework a lot of them before I ever try to submit them.

    Next book in the series is Saturday Night Special.

    carolcobun(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The answer is Saturday Night Special. Good post.

    lorettaC
    lbcanton@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saturday Night Special - Book 6, Riley's story.
    Have a great evening!
    T.
    finalcutediting@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Interview! And Congrats on the new release Mari!!
    The answer is Saturday Night Special!
    ~Afshan
    Afshan522@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Saturday Night Special is the next book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The answer is Saturday Night Special.

    Thanks for the contest!

    ~~*Drea*~~

    dreabecraft@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. The next book is Saturday Night Special. Great interview. And I love Mari's books!
    Sherry
    fcammer2@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woohoo, Maria! Mari's next book is Saturday Night Special, which sounds pretty special indeed :)

    f dot chen at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete